CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth is a MIDI synthesizer driver that is used in conjunction with a MIDI player. It runs on the same base as BASSMIDI Driver and Keppy's MIDI Driver. Current version is 1.17.1, released in 24th April, 2016
- Choice of soundfont.
- Lots of customization options.
- Has a lot more options to customize play.
- Can load multiple soundfonts.
- Can be faster than BASSMIDI Driver in crash points.
- Doesn't work with MIDITrail, Piano Hero and some programs. (fixed in Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth 2)
- It stutters more than the normal if BASSMIDI Driver is installed.
- Has issues with the ReactOS winmm.dll
- Stutters a lot if your computer is not strong.
- Can be buggy.
- Doesn't fully support sfz
- Not all MIDI events are parsed. (Under Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 systems)
- Poor perfomances on single core CPUs.
- Limited to 1000 voices via configurator.
Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.x
- Main article: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2
VirtualMIDISynth 2.x introduces a deep and important architectural change to VirtualMIDISynth: Driver and Synth components have been split in two distinct parts, while the Configurator is now included into the new Synth.
VirtualMIDISynth 2 is currently at alpha/beta stage, and therefore is not by any means complete nor a stable release, but testing and reporting any discovered issues are encouraged.
VirtualMIDISynth 2 is out of beta and can be downloaded from the main page